Whether you have tile on your kitchen floor, or in your bathroom, the secret to keeping tile looking new is proper maintenance. This is especially true for grout, which is just as important to keep clean as in any other portion of your home. Here are some basic tips in keeping your bathroom tile and grout looking new:
- Safety first, last, and always. Ensure you wear the proper protective equipment, and never mix cleaners and chemicals as this is dangerous and may cause health issues.
- Avoid using a toothbrush, as the bristles are too soft, but also avoid using a brush with metal bristles. You want something firm, but not something, that will damage the grout and tile.
- If you have colored grout and/or tile, avoid using anything with bleach as it may cause discoloration. Peroxide as well may cause discoloration in your grout and tile.
- Never use vinegar to clean tile. Vinegar is acidic in nature, and will wear down the grout and tile making it porous and allow mold and mildew to settle and grow.
- If using a commercial cleaner, ensure it is pH balanced to prevent erosion of the grout.
- If elbow grease will not suffice, do not be afraid to call a professional. These companies have the proper equipment and knowledge on getting out the stains, and have the ability to assist you should there be a mold issue.
- Re-grout your tile about every eight years, and apply a sealant at least annually. This will ensure longevity of the tile, and prevent water damage and/or mold and mildew accumulation.