In addition to gum, candy, and chocolate, other “accidents” can be a nightmare to clean up on a nice white carpet. With the holiday season right around the corner, stains are inevitable. Here are some tips on getting makeup out of your carpet and if you need professional carpet cleaning services, Carrara is here to help!
Remember: Carpets and rugs with natural fibers or dyes may require special treatment, and always read and follow the care instructions and any warnings provided by the carpet manufacturer. If in doubt contact a cleaning professional for advice/service. Never use a circular motion when attempting to remove stains, as it can destroy the texture of the carpet.
Carrara’s Tips for Removing Stains:
- Remove as much of the foreign material as possible by blotting with a white paper towel or scraping with a dull knife.
- Apply isopropyl rubbing alcohol to a clean white cloth, white paper towel or cotton ball. If the spot extends deep into the pile use a blotting motion until the spot is removed or no color is transferred to the cloth. Do not allow the alcohol to penetrate into the backing as this will destroy the latex bond. If the spot is on the surface only, rub in one direction at a time. Never us a circular motion to remove spot as this may destroy the texture. Stop if spot is removed. If not, go to the next step.
- Apply a small quantity of detergent solution to the spot. Use a blotting motion to work the detergent into the affected area. If spot is being removed continue applying detergent and blotting with a white paper towel until spot is removed.
- Rinse with tap water using a spray bottle, blot to remove excess moisture. Spray lightly with water, do not blot this time; Apply pad of paper towels and brick and allow to dry.
- If there is still some stain on the carpet and blotting is not removing it, then moisten the tufts in the stained area with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Let stand for on (1) hour. Blot and repeat until carpet is stain free. Light will cause peroxide to change back to water so no rinsing is necessary. Apply pad of paper towels and weight down with brick.
When a stain in your carpet happens, it’s best to act quickly so that the stain doesn’t have time to set in. However, if you prefer to have a professional cleaning service resolve your carpet stains, give us a call and our team will have your carpet looking brand new!