Mold in BathroomOne of the most common calls we get is a result of mold in bathrooms. In all cases the existence of mold is a result of a moisture problem. Attics, bathrooms, and basements are the most popular areas for mold to grow. Before we explore how to remove it we must first look at why the mold is growing and how can we prevent it after the cleanup is completed. Bathrooms can get very humid after showers, if the humidity does not get removed the risk for mold growth is increased.

First, let’s look at the exhaust fans in the bathroom. Hopefully you have one, and if you do the time to use it is during showers. The purpose of having an exhaust fan is to remove the moisture in the area. You must also be sure it is working properly and vented correctly. The fan should remove the moisture and send it outside of the home. If your vent is pushing the moisture to the attic you could have a problem with mold growth inside your attic. You will want to inspect to be sure the vent is exhausting the air outside. If you do not have an exhaust fan you may want to look at having one installed.

Windows are also beneficial in bathrooms to help remove the humidity. If you have one, use it when needed. Opening a window will help to decrease humidity. In colder temperatures this may not be an option. Use of the exhaust fan will be critical.

Mold needs a food source to exist and it must be a cellulose-based material. Mold however, will grow on soap and dirt as well. It is common to see mold growing in showers and tubs. You might find it on grout as well. Cleaning your shower and tub can help eliminate this problem. After a finished shower the water dries and there is soap left behind. Mold can grow on soap, believe it or not. Cleaning will significantly help prevent mold growth. You can use 10% bleach with 90% water mixture to clean.

You may be asking, can I remove the mold on my own? Before you clean, be sure the water problem is resolved. High humidity increases the chance of condensation and if you clean it, you may be cleaning again later. Once the moisture problem is resolved you can look at removing the mold. I would recommend getting a professional involved. Mold exposure has been known to cause allergic-type reactions and affects everyone differently.