Every year millions of people purchase real Christmas trees around the holidays. Whether they are Douglas Firs, Frasier Firs, or even Blue Spruces, they all can cause a problem for your flooring – carpet or hardwood. There are several steps you can take to prevent damage to your floors.
- Remove any netting holding the tree, and thoroughly shake all needles before you bring the tree into the house.
- Cut any small branches from the bottom to allow the tree to cleanly stand in the… stand.
- Cut the bottom of the tree so it’s fresh to allow water to enter more easily.
- Use a mixture of lemon-lime soda and water to help keep the tree fresher longer. Ensure the tree is “drinking” the water/mixture or it can cause mold.
- Place a rubber floor mat, or tree mat, under the tree to prevent any water from spilling and damaging the floor. Cover the bottom of the tree with a skirt to hide the mat.
- Keep pets and children away from the bottom, not just for your floors, but for also safety.
- If water spills over, ensure you don’t allow it stand. Standing water can stain the carpet, and/or cause damage to the padding underneath.
- Vacuum any needles which fall, as they can cause damage as well.
- When removing the tree, use a plastic protector on the way out to catch any dropped needles or dripping water.
- Shampoo the carpet or have it professionally cleaned as a precaution.
- If any sap gets on the floor, place ice over it to get it cold. You should be able to pull it off without damaging the carpet.
- Sweep up any fallen needles as they can scratch the floor or become trapped between the boards. You will need to do this daily.
- As with carpet, remove any standing water as it can damage the floor.
- Use a plastic protector to prevent needles from scratching the floor.
- Use a hardwood cleaner to after the tree has been removed.
If you take the necessary steps above, you can protect all your flooring types from damage. If you’re looking for a residential carpet cleaning service before the holiday, give us a call to make sure carpets are clean and soft.